Greenpeace Alberta – facebook group
Cityfarm Growing Assistants – Volunteer Opportunity
Our Little Green Thumbs indoor gardening program will be starting up in early January 2011 and we are looking for volunteers (“Growing Assistants”). We will be offering training sessions from Oct-Dec 2010. Growing Assistants help a teacher or child care agency leader set up an indoor garden before Christmas. In January and February, you will help them sow seeds and transplant seedlings. For the remainder of the school year, you will assist with occasional maintenance, gardening activities, help with clean-up and may also give phone/e-mail advice.
The Growing Assistant volunteer has an opportunity to work with children and see their fascination with plants, seeds and soil, and to help a teacher/leader feel successful in growing plants indoors. A green thumb is not a pre-requisite. However, gardening experience and a passion for children and youth are an asset.
Kaleidoscope Video Challenge Project Alberta Regional Coordinator
The Alberta Council for Global Cooperation (ACGC) is looking for a responsible, experienced person to fill the position of Alberta Regional Coordinator for the Kaleidoscope Video Challenge Project.
* Promoting the Kaleidoscope Video Challenge Project in Alberta.
* Implementing a media strategy in consultation with the Kaleidoscope National Coordinator.
* Developing partnerships with a variety of stakeholders.
* Creating, facilitating, and producing presentations for schools, community organizations, and other partner groups throughout the province.
* Creating, facilitating, and producing video production workshops for youth throughout the province.
* In collaboration with other staff, organizing events, including a regional gala.
* Reporting (monitoring and evaluation – documenting best practices, lessons learned, etc).
* Other duties as required.
Desired Experience, Skills and Qualifications:
* Excellent interpersonal skills with expertise in public relations and presentations.
* Experience in event coordination.
* Experience in public engagement.
* Previous experience working with youth.
* Video production skills.
* Ability to work independently.
* Ability to travel.
* Experience working in international development an asset.
* Excellent computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Access, Publisher, internet, e-mail, web publishing packages).
* Driver’s License and an ability to drive in winter conditions as required.
Wage: $18.25 / hour
Application deadline: 4:30 pm, Friday September 10, 2010
Start date: As soon as possible. Early October at the latest.
This position will report directly to the Kaleidoscope National Coordinator and will be based at the ACGC office in Edmonton.
The successful candidate must be willing to work occasional evenings and weekends, and will be required to travel. This is a part-time contract position with flexible hours (14 hrs/week) for 12 months duration with the possibility of additional hours to be negotiated.
Please submit a resume with cover letter and the names and contact information of three references by email (firstname.lastname@example.org)by 4:30 pm, Friday September 10, 2010. For more information, please contact Rose Yewchuk at 780-988-0200 or email@example.com
Thank you for applying. Only candidates selected for an interview will be notified.